Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog 10


“I imagined how May had rolled the rock from the bank out into the river, then lay down, pulling it on top of her. She had held it tight, like a baby, and waited for her lungs to fill. I wondered if she had flailed and jerked toward the surface at the last second, or did she go without fighting, embracing the rock, letting is soak up all the pain she felt? I wondered about the creatures that had swum by while she died.”

 I was so moved by the simplicity and yet the complexity of this scene. This is the most unbelievable example of the embodiment of emotion within a simple presentation. We are trapped in the head of an adolescent girl and yet we are still able to perceive the heart behind what is happening. I also appreciated that there was an art to the way suicide was presented. This is something that I have had experience with and it is a very ugly and brutal way to die, and there is no way to move beyond the horror of it when it happens, however the way it was written it was something sacrificial and artistic and brave. I think this had more to do with the personality of May rather than the actual act of suicide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment