Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog 4


“The spinner started slowly, gaining speed like the cotton- candy machine at the fair, until it was sending heavenly smells into the atmosphere. ‘It separates out the honey,’ she said, ‘Takes out the bad stuff, leaves in the good. I’ve always thought how nice it would be to have spinners like this for human beings. Just toss them in and let the spinner do its word.’ I looked back at her, and she was staring at me with her ginger- cake eyes. Was I paranoid to think that when she said human being, what she really meant was me.’” I completely understood why Lily felt that August was speaking directly to her. However my perception of this scene was that August was speaking for her. I think she was trying to communicate that even though Lily had did not see the good in people, that there is always a combination of the good and the bad. I think August was trying to teach her to look at the good in people and recognize it, instead of always focusing in on the negative or on the bad.  There is also a subtle hint here that even the people that we think are only good can still have another side to them, but that doesn’t subtract from the good that we recognized originally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment