Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blog 3

Blog 3: Illogicalness of Racism "The Secret Life of Bees" shows different views of racism. Lily grew up in a white family who treated blacks as lower than themselves. Lily doesn't even realize that this is happening and when she does realize, she changes her views. After spending time with the Boatwright's she makes the statement, "T. Ray did not think colored women were smart. Since I want to tell the whole truth, which means the worst parts, I thought they could be smart, but not as smart as me, me being white. Lying on the cot in the honey house, though, all I could think was August is so intelligent, so cultured, and I was surprised by this. That's what let me know I had some prejudice buried inside me" (78). Lily finally comes to terms with the fact that she herself is racist, even though she hadn't realized it. Lily quickly lets the sisters into her life and comes to realize that she has no basis for her beliefs. The longer she stays with them the more she realizes the illogicallness and stupidity of racism. Lily also begins to fall for Zach and she breaks down crying at one point because she knows that they cannot be together. She realizes that because of the views of the world, her new life is becoming more complicated. Even June, who seems racist towards Lily at first, comes around and learns to care for Lily no matter what her skin color. The book does a great job of subtly showing the illogicalness of racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment