Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog 3


‘That night I lay in bed listening to the flicks and twitters and thrums inside the bee jar, waiting till it was late enough so I could slip out to the orchard and dig up the tin box that held my mother’s thing. I wanted to lie down in the orchard and let it hold me.” I felt that this was a very mature moment for Lily. Most young girls that are neglected and angry push everyone away. Those enclose themselves in their own developed safe place to avoid further hurt.  They become brash and cold; there is a defensiveness that surrounds them. However, in this scene Lily identifies her need to be held. She understands that the very thing that would revolutionize her callous world is love. However not just love, as we perceive it in emotion, but love in action. She understands this unsaid concept that people have a need for … people. Her greatest desire is to be touched in a way that lets her know she is cared for. The sad part of this is that the only thing to hold her is the orchard and the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment