Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Poetry of The Secret Life of Bees

I have discussed the themes, motifs and symbolism in this book. However, I have not written about what a joy it has been to read and soak it up. This is my favorite reading during this entire class. I am from the South, born and raised. In 1964, I was seven years-old and I do remember the bigotry that was prevalent here in Florida and other states. Sue Monk Kidd paints vivid pictures of my childhood with her "southern speak." It isn't just the story, it is her presentation. Her voice is the voice of my youth. Her remembrances parallel some of my own. I know this place she speaks of. It is my home.

I see the river, I hear the cicadas, I smell the grass mixed with honeycomb. When Lily walks into August's bedroom, with all the various shades of blue, I see it and I feel her tension as she waits for August. I feel that soft first kiss, like moths, brushing my lips and my stomach has the butterflies that only a first kiss brings.

If I could write half this well, I would do nothing else. I would starve if I had to just so that the world could share the words that I would paint like an artist's paints her canvas.

I want to read it all again...to hear the sounds, smell the smells, and drink the memories of turbulence and transition. The storytelling ability of Sue Monk Kidd is truly extraordinary! If I got nothing else out of this class (and I did..much more), just reading this book would be well worth it! Thanks Maryssa for asking me to be in your group and read this book! It inspires me to work harder and do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment